Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blue Star Mothers: An army for an army

"A mother's worry never ceases. Thoughts of her children interrupt every breath.

But when her child is 6,000 miles away, in a place she can't ensure is warm, safe and stocked with food and soap, where she can't call, and where her child sleeps with a gun, she finds little solace."...


"You tell Blue Star Mothers that your military son is in trouble, and you bring
on a whole other army," said Ward, who is a 10th-grade social studies teacher at
Western Alamance High School. "Your kid is their kid."

...Eaton then joined the Blue Star Mothers of North Carolina. It was just the therapy she needed, said Eaton, who is now the first vice president of the north central chapter. "They were there for me 24 hours a day when I needed them," she said. "Moms thrive on rhythm and routine, especially when you're a mom of four guys. And my routine was off. One of my chicks was too far from nest." As a member, Eaton helps with fundraisers and visits soldiers and their families. "It made me feel I was doing something proactive while he was being active," she said. "I think I know what to say to moms whose children are now deployed. I know how your heart skips a beat when the news says there has been another death or wounded soldier."

read the full story heraldsun.com: Blue Star Mothers: An army for an army:

No comments: