Sunday, December 23, 2007

For families of those serving, call from a loved one is the best gift - Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007

Union Leader - For families of those serving, call from a loved one is the best gift - Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007:

... "And, Penn said, 'If you see someone shoveling a driveway, and they have a blue star on their window, and they look like they might be having trouble with it, come on over and give them some help.'
Because those flags with the blue stars, like the one that hangs in the window of her Manchester home, mean 'somebody is serving actively and deployed overseas,' she explained."

Messages from Iraq
We asked two New Hampshire soldiers serving in Iraq this Christmas to share their thoughts as their families celebrate the holidays at home in their absence.
It is important for people to know how hard it is to run a household when the significant other is away to another country. It could be a Mother, or Father, Husband or Wife that is here and the other has to hold down the fort while they are away. That's a job in itself, when you are used to having another person there to help out around the house.

I would like to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to my family and to
know that I will be home soon. I miss them very much and can't wait to see them
again.
Thank You
SSG David PennArmy Iraq
I am extremely fortunate to have family and friends that support my
military service to my country. My wife, Pauline, has a more difficult duty in
holding down the fort at home. She has always placed the children first above
her personal needs. Our dream is that the children will continue to care and
share with others in life.
This will be my second Christmas away from home in
the last five years, but I am currently serving with other soldiers that are on
their third and fourth tour, so life needs to be put in perspective as compared
to others. My military position is the Base Support Officer in Charge, (titled-
Mayor) of Forward Operating Base Marez and Diamondback. The duties keep me
totally engaged so that time passes swiftly.
I will be spending Christmas
with my fellow soldiers from the 34th RAOC at Forward Operating Base Marez. I
will have the opportunity to serve my fellow soldiers lunch at the Base Dining
facility (DFAC), which is a long honored tradition for our leadership in Armed
Services. It's an enjoyable time that reminds me of home, but with longer
lines.
I, as other dads, miss my wife and children and realize what memories
are lost during these times of war and I look forward to my homecoming. Merry
Christmas to all my family and friends.
LTC Michael JacquesExecutive
Officer34th RAOC NHARNGFOB Marez

No comments: