Friday, November 16, 2007

Veterans honored by community

Veterans honored by community: "About 200 people showed up Sunday to pay tribute to some 30 local veterans at the Veterans Day Appreciation Barbecue hosted by the American Legion at the Harding-Noia Post 161 on West Sixth Street in Antioch. ...

... Mayor Donald Freitas acknowledged the presence of U.S. Army Spc. and Antioch resident Isaac Morton, who was wounded in Iraq and is home on convalescent leave. “I’m glad I made the decision,” Morton said of his decision to join the military. “The biggest lesson I have learned in the military is to believe in myself. I have done some things that I never thought I’d do out there. If you make it through, you’re OK.” Morton’s mother, Virginia, has 11 children, two of whom serve in the Navy, and is active with the Delta Blue Star Moms. “It’s important for parents to realize that they should support their children if they want to serve,” she said."

No comments: